Through the Tourism Development Act (Chapter 87:22), the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago offers a number of attractive tax exemptions, benefits, concessions and loans to investors, owners and operators of approved tourism projects in Trinidad and Tobago.
There are four (4) main categories of tourism incentives:
- Motor Vehicles Tourism Projects: Tax exemption for approved tourism projects; concessions on Corporation tax
- Tourism Accommodation Projects: Exemption from Motor Vehicle Tax; Customs Duty at the low rate of 10%
- Tourism Infrastructure:
- Ancillary Tourism Facilities: Tax exemption for approved tourism projects; concessions on Corporation tax
Other Incentives include:
- Tourism Accommodation Upgrade Programme
- Government Loan Guarantee Programme
*Specific tourism niches have been identified for development; with Trinidad focusing on business and cultural tourism, and Tobago focusing on leisure and ecotourism.