The Division is involved in research and data collection to facilitate the planning and policy formulation process. Also, facilitates and executes a number of Public Sector Investment Programme (PSIP) projects, and has a monitoring and control function as it relates to the PSIP.
Responsibilities of the Research & Planning Unit
- To undertake economic research that facilitates advice and the effective and efficient monitoring of the industry.
- To prepare annual PSIP Budget Estimates for the Ministry
- To administer the release of funds from Ministry of Finance for execution of the PSIP under the Ministry and the TDC
- To execute PSIP projects which contribute to the strategic development of the tourism sector
- To monitor the progress of the Ministry’s and the TDC’s achievements under the PSIP
- To maintain a Statistical Database of visitor arrivals and other crucial tourism statistics
- To undertake research to facilitate the preparation of Cabinet Notes, Speeches, Media and other Briefs, Position Papers, and Comments on tourism related issues
- To facilitate industry training to stakeholders including hoteliers, culinary practitioners and community groups
- To work with stakeholders in building awareness of career opportunities in tourism
- To assist in Strategic Planning for the Tourism Industry
- To work with Local Government Bodies and Community Groups to foster community tourism development
- To represent the Ministry at Inter-Ministerial Committees and local, regional and international conferences/workshops